Removed limit of 10 users on mobile device In response to our users' requests to allow more than 10 authenticated users on shared devices, we have removed the limit of 10 uses so organizations can easily put as many authenticated users on the device as needed.
SOAP Notes now indicate required fields To make our users' workflow more efficient, the mobile app now proactively indicates which fields are required within SOAP Notes being completed.
RATE PER HOUR now on SOAP Notes report We heard from a number of our users regarding the need for changing the "Rate per Minute" count to "Rate per Hour" count on the SOAP Notes reports. This allows for a more insightful analysis and is more in line with what funding sources need reported within these documents. We have made this change and also improved the results to display in numerals rounded to the closest hundredth.
Moved some processes for Progress Reports to the API In an effort to make Progress Notes a more reliable and timelier feature, we moved part of the processing for this area of the program to the API which allows for quicker operations and minimizing timeouts.
Unable to access the app regardless of correct security rights Some of our users were experiencing this issue which prevented them from accessing the mobile app correctly even though they had the appropriate security right in the portal. This has been resolved.
502 Error when exporting timesheets to Excel A few of our users were seeing a "502 error" when trying to export their timesheets to Excel. This problem has been corrected.
Form builder issues within the mobile app Some of our users encountered issues such as duplicate forms and customized forms not appearing in the list of available forms. This issue has been fixed.
Authenticated users not showing in Users list on the mobile app With the latest mobile app update, some of our users ran into the odd problem of authenticated users disappearing from the Users list on the mobile app about 24 hours after initially logging them into the device. While this didn't prevent our users from using the app, it was an inconvenience and unintended interruption to user workflows. This issue has been fixed.